THE SURAT DISTRICT COOPERATIVE BANK LIMITED was established in the year 1909 by the efforts of Late Shri BA Modi and Late Shri KG Desai. Surat District Cooperative (Urban) Union Limited, was registered on 17-6-1909. It was this organization which later came to be known as Surat District Co-operative Society.
The first decade of 20th century was a very important era in the history of cooperatives for the whole country and also for Surat district. Many cooperatives were established during this period. The first cooperative society was registered in Surat district on 23-5-1906 (now in Bulsar district) in Degam, Taluka Chikhali.
In the year 1921, this society fully carried out banking activities. In 1923, the Surat District Co-operative (Urban) Union was converted into the Surat District Co-operative. Coastal region comprising cities like Surat city and Navsari – Bulsar – Bilimora, large tribal area with fertile flat land and hills and dense forests.
In 1965 the vast Surat district was bifurcated and Bulsar district was carved out. Presently there are 15 talukas in Surat district, out of which 9 are in tribal area.
The bank has a separate department for agricultural advances since 1944, and has become an effective central agency for co-ordination and smooth flow of finance for the cooperative sector in the district.
After 1956 when Shree Khedut Sahakari Khand Udyog Mandali Limited, Bardoli came into existence, the entire Surat district gradually became a sugar belt. All existing eight sugar mills to be started
The bank is privileged to have prominent citizens on its board in sectors such as social, cooperative and agriculture.
The number of branches of this bank is 15.